Thursday, September 11, 2014

Ditch that wrapper

Every time I receive my copy of National Geographic Traveller, I do it with a pang of guilt!  What do I do with that thin wrapper? Is it degradable? I know it provides safe shipping and prevents damage due to fingering.  I even wrote a letter to Nat Geo about replacing this with a paper flap, which they promptly published in the magazine but that issue still came with the same wrapper.

I did some reading to understand what is used for the wrapper.  The perfect product is Cellophane which is regenerated cellulose and can be degraded.  But good things don’t come cheap!  So, the cheaper alternate is BOPP (Biaxially Oriented Poly Propylene).   And BOPP can at the best be recycled.  Given the flimsy thickness of these wrappers, it is unlikely to be profitable to the rag picker or recycler.  My guess is that it ends in the land fill. And my guess is also that BOPP is what is used by most magazine publishers and not cellophane.

Can publishers look at some other options?  A thick paper flap that seals the front page to back page should work well.  A paper envelope should again work well for shipping though it may take away the look.


Will the publishing Industry choose ‘Substance over Form’?

3 comments:

  1. Till august 2014 we got our copies of national geographic in brown envelopes ( which I used to flip over n cover my novels n kids' story books - a childhood habit). But the Sept issue has come in silver color plastic cover. Guess economics is taking precedence at Nat Geo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well it depends on whether the subscribers are willing to pay for the extra cost of paper.

    ReplyDelete