Wednesday, April 1, 2020

The bright and the beautiful amidst COVID times - Story #5

Yes, as Hina shares here, there is a choice even in these difficult times on what we think and do; It is up to each one of us to choose something that can make a positive difference!

This morning as I sat in the comfort of my balcony, sipping my chai.......

I look at the deserted road, and again a low feeling is trying to grip me, but I don't let it to conquer me. Thanks to that woman there who catches my attention, how religiously she does her job of sweeping the roads in the midst of all pollution and the virus scare ,without wearing a mask.  Does she have the choice to work from home?  And here we are, most of us blessed with that choice, yet in a complaining mode. And this choice actually opening to us the door to many more choices.

Instead of spending most of my time on the forwarded messages and videos about the virus,  I have a choice to pick my phone and use it to talk to a old friend or a colleague or a cousin, enquiring about their well being. I don't remember when did I last hear their voice.

Instead of worrying that I may run short of the essentials if the supermarkets shut down, I have the choice to get into action mode of trying out that new recipe which I always wanted to, or surprise my loved ones with their favourite dish.

Instead of worrying about the large population of my country and are we ready to handle if the situation worsens,  I have a choice to remind myself I am a part of this same population I complain about,  and indeed fortunate for the moral support system the people of my country make for.

Instead of worrying about the not so hygenic conditions of my country, I have the choice to pick up the dusting cloth and attend to the layer of dust on the furniture and paintings of my home.

Instead of cribbing that my much planned shopping is postponed, I have the choice to give a listening ear to my wardrobe which has been asking me to attend to it and relieve it of it's stuffy space,  by happily parting with those dresses I know I am never going to use, but which could be of great use to the one who truly needs.

Instead of feeling frustrated that I am unable to watch my awaited movie " Angrezi Medium " I have the choice to teach the angrezi alphabets to that child who is not privileged enough to access education through angrezi medium.

Instead of worrying about the dipping global economy which surely doesn't lie on my shoulders, I have a choice to work towards the dipping smiles during these moments of crisis.

So, I now guess, it's not about the deserted streets which are causing fear, it's the fear of being in my own company??

Come on,  we are blessed with choices, just need to contemplate on them and make the right ones,  and bless that woman there for keeping my street clean.

-Hina Jagadeesh

No comments:

Post a Comment