Wednesday, April 22, 2020

The bright and the beautiful amidst COVID times - Story #22


So we end the series 'The bright and the beautiful amidst COVID times' with a post from the sole male contributor, that should leave you all mouth watering; and proving that 'For a man, stomach rules (always)!'  
The last paragraph is lost on me though😋 .

Will be back soon on a different theme! Hang on there ! 

Upon request from my better and brighter half, here goes!

To begin, I cannot express my bright moments these days without confessing to a sense of unspeakable shame and some responsibility for the plight of those who had to pack up within 4 hours reach their homes far far away. Many died. I hope it never happens again in my country.

On that flaky foundation of a lock down I did get showered with many pleasant turns quite unexpectedly. Some material and some mental and one most important saved for the end 😊.

My parents who stay nearby, with their own daily routine, moved in with us for the lock down. That turned out to very salutary for my tongue as my mother took over the kitchen for meals. I get all my favourite dishes signed unmistakably by the smell and taste of her cooking. The combinations of food I loved as a kid – keerai and vatha kozhambhu, or murungakkai sambar and katrikai curry, and so on and my favorite pickle, thokku mangai made by her from handpicked farm mangoes of our neighbour!

That extended to music as well. I generally feed my ears with Hindi Bollywood and English pop-rock of my generation as staple songs. But I had grown up on Carnatic music, of which MS Subbulakshmi would constantly hum from our old Vinyl LP. With my parents around my ears were nursed again with her evergreens like Bhavayami Raghumam, Sri Rangapura Vihara, Kamakshi Suprabhatam, Kurai Onrum Illai and so on after a good 35 years. That joy which is experienced from listening to MS can only be experienced. Thank the lock down for that!

Almost all men have their Bala (the movie) moments, aka Balmukund Shukla, deriving pride from that lock of hair that parts ways so stylistically when you run your fingers through it. That is, if he still has it. I know of no man (or boy) who growing up, was not prouder of what was on his head than inside it. Alas, the ravages of time reverses that because he loses most of what on top even as he thinks he still has what is inside. Insidious as is the nature of evolution, what is on top does not completely go away, as patches stay as painful reminder of what once was. I always mow it down with meticulous regularity to erase any memory of my curly hair I so loved. Till the lock down happened and denied me my haircut. So now those patches have grown wild. Irritation initially gave way to helpless acceptance, but then as I once ran my finger through those patches (mostly at the back where the mirror will not show) I could feel my curls again! It took me back to my teenage days where I would run my fingers through the curl, uncurling it only to get the curl back. That oomph feeling about myself revived!

The best part of the lock down is of course financial. For me, given me, the most repelling part of my living is receiving that dreaded email that carries the credit card statement. If there is one place where our family has always exceeded expectations, it is in the expenses. We find new ways of spending even as we try to cope with existing ones. Never once has a credit card bill come to my satisfaction, where I open it, and have a smug smile on my face that says, “I gotcha”. But not this time. Ha ha ha. The lock down has also locked our expenses. I am today as eagerly waiting for my credit card bill as that boy who after the family lock down is waiting for his favourite ice cream. Nothing, absolutely nothing can come in the way of that joyful moment.

-Kimi 

No comments:

Post a Comment