Saturday, April 4, 2020

The bright and the beautiful amidst COVID times - Story #8

I am touched by this really personal story shared by Padmini Sundaram.  Something that could be happening to any of us.  And I am truly inspired by her living in the moment and living it fully irrespective of the circumstances.   Thanks Padi. 

A surprise googly awaiting me -  By Padmini Sundaram

After 8 months at Isha Coimbatore (intense sadhana and seva), I was eagerly waiting to reach Bangalore on 12th March. My sister Geetha called to say my  niece had her first periods just 2  days before her 13th birthday falling on 9th March (she missed the international women's day celebration by just 30 minutes). 

I had not traveled to Delhi for last 3 years and I instantly changed my  travel plan to spend sometime with my niece Anushka. On 10th March I left for Delhi from Coimbatore with plans to return to Bangalore on 17th March.

Geetha's mother-in-law had just undergone surgery for mouth cancer  and was going to start Radiation in a few days.  My sister has a help who stays the whole day doing all the cooking and another help to do the other work at home. 

Just 4 days after I came the maids/helps were all stopped in her apartment like everywhere else and my departure date to Bangalore was arriving soon. I felt like running away initially, but I decided to stay back till 1st April . And then lock down was also announced,  so I again extended.

Soon Geetha and I took charge as the main cook/s and we assigned work to our five assistants including my sister's her in-laws. Our Buddy (4 year old labrador kept us all the more busy, coming in every 30 minutes with ball in his mouth asking us to play with him amidst our mega cooking, sweeping, washing vessels etc. 

We did have initial hiccups but after few days we settled into a rhythm. I wake up by 4 am and finish my yoga and kriya by 6.30.  I and my sister then sit with a large mug of  tea for half an hour.  We then take turns to be in the kitchen.  My brother in law takes his mother at 8.30 am to hospital for radiation everyday, after doing his bit in washing vessels and doing the beds.  He actually gives us a complex with his cleaning skills!  Slowly but steadily, everything was in order by the 5th day. 

Now it is almost 12 days and the flow is really good. Every day I even watch a movie on prime; making up for the last 8 months quota.

Amidst all this hectic schedules, I notice something wonderful happening among us including Buddy; there is so much bonding happening, something I cannot describe in words. 

So for me, it has indeed been loads of positives during the COVID-19 days!

- Padmini Sundaram 

No comments:

Post a Comment