Friday, April 10, 2020

The bright and the beautiful amidst COVID times - Story #14

When one door closes, another opens!  It is heartening to see how each of us are discovering those new doors to exciting opportunities even in these unprecedented times.  As Shilpa Shree says, we are all in it together and derive comfort and draw inspiration from each other's stories!  


Just like any other woman, I don many hats. After 6 years of self-containment as a stay-at-home mum cum entrepreneur, I ventured out. Starting a second innings in career was a challenge in itself. Dealing with the logistics, handling everything else, and taking care of my daughter became a worrisome challenge. After much permutations and combinations, we settled with a routine and it worked just fine until the school exams approached. This is when I started to slowly gain my manager's confidence to be able to work from home (WFH). Which seemed a bit too far fetched at that moment. 

The Covid-19 situation just eased out the creases for me in that perspective. Now I didn't had to ask for WFH, they happily gave it to me.While looking at this one ray of sunshine from this gloomy shadow hovering above us all, I see nature trying to heal itself. Our mother earth is trying to heal, our bodies are trying to heal.

When we were younger devoid of all the technology and entertainment centres, how did we spend time? What did we do? This lock down gave me the opportunity to recreate those memories with my daughter.  We played cards, 5 stones, chowkabara; we did gardening, mindful eating, cooking, cleaning, etc. I remember, cleaning, sweeping and mopping were tasks we had to do before going to school. But with maids available, our kids often don't get that opportunity to do these chores.
So, my daughter got her hands dirty by sweeping and mopping the house. 

We were worried about how this lock down will affect us. But then, we have handled it pretty well with lot of activities.  Our day starts with intense morning workouts. With our daughter joining in as well.  We cook breakfast together. Eat together. Play for sometime. On weekdays, we work while my daughter does her chores of practicing violin, keyboard, painting, writing stories etc. We have coffee together in the evening and chit chat about the work done during the day. Have debates on random topics from space to lock down. Cook dinner together and eat as well. My husband and I have this new found inclination to watch thriller movies. So we watch one almost everyday now.  While our daughter satiates herself watching her favourite Anime stories. 

While being inside our cocoon seems comforting, we also crave for the external  connections.  That's when technology helps. All those stories from many different people keeps us going.

In the end, it comforts to say we are not alone in this and our stories are what binds us all together.

- Shilpa shree

No comments:

Post a Comment