Thursday, April 16, 2020

The bright and the beautiful amidst COVID times - Story #17

Though I am maintaining a kitchen garden for about three years now, I suspect my household treated it merely as an indulgence.  They would give an amused look when I would go around with stinking panchakavya or the neem oil, when I fret over who would water the plants when I am traveling, or  when I search for heirloom seeds online.  This was pre-COVID-19.

During the first week of COVID lock down, we were taking stock of the vegetables and the husband panicked.  But to his surprise, he continues to be served food with loads of fresh vegetables, including tangy palak with cherry tomatoes, pesto pasta, drumstick sambhar, basale gassi, pudina pulao, brinjal chutney, pandan flavoured rice, raw tomato stew, including some recipe names he had never heard of before. Suddenly there was immense respect for my kitchen garden!

Never has my garden yielded so much harvest as during the last month!  I do not know whether it is sheer good timing, or me taking the garden seriously during these times to respect its produce.  Whatever it is, I am so grateful for this bounty and to those of you who have played a role in this (special mention to my once a week gardener Ramakrishna).  Sharing some pictures here with their common names.  Do ping me if you want any of the recipes.  Also many of them grow quite well in grow bags if your worry is about maintaining a kitchen garden in an apartment.

It is said 'Growing your own food is like printing your own money'; how my husband wishes I do the latter too !

The humble basale surprises with not  just its health benefits but amazing taste; Try Basale gassi

I waited close to 3 years for this tree to start yielding the drumsticks and boy am I not glad!

My only regret is that the Kaaramani (Yard long beans) were so highly perched that I had to rope in my backyard neighbour's help

I can never tire of Italian basil and I would call this plant as 'Akshaya patra' (inexhaustible)

Just peeping out, deliciously soft brinjals

Pandan grows like a forest, and gives an amazing flavour to basmati rice ; should try one of those Malaysian sweets! 

Waiting to pluck this papaya; has been taking months 

The omavalli plant (ajwain / doddapatre) takes the simple coconut chutney to a different level

The infamous pirandai (Veldt grape), though invariably used in negative context, has immense health benefits

Nothing to beat the aroma and taste of freshly plucked pudina (mint leaves)

Lemon balm or melissa flavours my herbal tea and also the water for mopping the house

The cherry tomatoes play naughty to get, and have become a favourite with my mother in law for lemon rasam

The greens (surprisingly going to 5th harvest this time)

Nothing can beat the tanginess of these naatti tomatoes

Can you believe this turnip sprouting in such a small pot?

Water apples from neighbour's tree being ferried back there (with loads on our plate too!)
The thai basil with lemon grass is a mouth watering combination

The morning chai and the evening chai and the anytime chai with lemongrass does not fail to elevate my mood!  
Welcome home for a cup of lemongrass tea. 







No comments:

Post a Comment